(Some of) My favorite things

Lillian knows who Santa is. She knows that there are presents coming at Christmas - hopefully all "princess things". But she also knows that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus. On our walks she use to collect acorns and magnolia cones as potential presents for Jesus. However lately she's lost sight of this and is very focused on the "getting" of Christmas. I tried to talk to her last night about making some presents for our friends and family and neighbors and then presenting with a song. But she denied me right away saying she didn't like that at all. How do I teach my daughter to become less material at this time of year when so many of us get suck into it all? I don't want her memories of Christmas to be about the gifts she did or did not receive.

I started thinking about some of the things in life that make me happy that can't be bought. Here is my list so far:


1) clean sheets
2) clouds that look like mountains in the distance
3) clean kitchen counters, prompting me to create
4) 40 degrees, cold enough for a warm drink and snuggled under a blanket for a good book or movie
5) an empty trash can
6) watching my kids sleep
7) talking on the phone with family
8) falling asleep next to my husband every night
9) the smell of fresh bread
10) snacks and playing cards with friends
11) a good parking spot
12) Lillian reminding me at 7pm that we forgot our morning hug
13) the movement of my unborn baby

Comments

Anonymous said…
So much fun is your list of favorite things! I guess a couple of mine are on there too. Can you identify them?

Biker Man

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Robert Welty