Cholecystectomy

Today, to commemorate Rachel's gall bladder surgery, I am reminiscing about my gallstone attacks, the gall bladder cleanse, and then the eventual gall bladder surgery. For whatever reason gallstones are more likely to form and cause problems during and after pregnancy (I knew all the medical reasoning back in 2006 but I forget now - you can look it up). Anyway, it's a horrible pain and you never know how long one attack can be. Rachel and I both ended up at ERs due to the pain because you really think you are dying and there's no possible way you could make it any longer. Even though I knew there was nothing that could be done I still managed to call 911. Of course that time the pain stopped right before they arrive, which is good but quite embarrassing. Rachel and I both agree that the pain is worse than labor. (And she was drugfree!)
When Lillian was 6 weeks old, I decided to do a gallbladder cleanse to perhaps avoid the surgery. The picture of me on my side is the end of the 4-day-apple-juice-only cleanse. The last four hours I took 1/4 cup of olive oil followed by lemon juice and then laid on my side. The taste of olive oil still bothers me. The hope is that the gallstones pass within the next 24 hours. It worked for me but unfortunately, didn't get them all. Later, the ultrasound showed "multiple" gallstones (funny, Rachel's ultrasound reading had similar vague wording). I ended up having the surgery when Lillian was 4 months old. (Thank you Canadian govt once again!)

Here's Lillian hanging out with Dad.


GET BETTER SOON RACH! Here she is with Lillian just after Matt and Hannah's wedding. Her own baby Asher is now just over 6 weeks old.

Comments

Mary Mac said…
this story is painful. Rach I am glad that it is finally over. Give Asher a kiss for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Robert Welty