My newest hobby: Couponing

I tried a couple years ago to be better about clipping coupons and therefore saving money on food and staple items.  It was not the right time and I was soon buried in coupons and not using a single one at the store.



But I've started again.  The first thing to do is start collecting, through the paper (multiple sets), internet, magazines, and anywhere else you can find.  Then you organize, then you research, then you head to the stores.  I use a couple of different sites- blogs mostly that have already done the research for me and can tell me directly to go to such and such store and buy this product using this coupon.  I've learned that I have to be completely prepared before I get to the store.  Usually I go without the kids and I take a list and just the coupons I'll be using.

The receipt shows todays venture.  I "bought" two Right Guard deodorants.  They each cost $3.99 originally but the store is having a Buy One get One Free promotion= (-$3.99), then I had a manufacture coupon for Buy One get One Free= (-$3.99).  In essence, the store is paying for one, and the manufacture is paying for one.  I'm getting both free, and I walked out of the store without paying a penny!!!  This is of course not an everyday deal so you have to jump on them when you can - I have/had a total of four of the these coupons.  This means that I received 8 of these (the coupon/promotion were also for Right Guard body washes) for a total of $31.92 in savings.  So Kyle should be smelling fresh for awhile....

If you'd like to get in on the action just check out the blogs under SAVINGS to the left.  OR, if you'd like to help me out and collect coupons for me that would be amazing.  The Waco paper often does not have the same value and definitely not the same amount of coupons that larger papers have.  I would be happy to send you a envelope with stamps (no need to cut, just send the whole insert or inserts after collecting for a couple).  If you don't subscribe you could always ask your neighbors, friends, people at church or even scout out Starbucks on Sundays. :)  And email me if you have questions or want to help out.  I'm just at the beginning so we could learn together.


Nothing like FREE to get you excited!


**EDIT: This week until Saturday Walgreens is having a sale on diapers (possible made by Huggies - they work great for us) for Buy One get One free (orig. $8.99).  Plus there are store coupons for $2.00 - which apply to each pack in your order = $2.49/pack.  Email or call if you need the store coupon.
size 1 - 50 diapers .049/diaper
size 2 - 42, .059/diaper
size 4 - 31, .080/diaper
size 6 - 23, .108/diaper

Comments

Becky said…
My mom always hated using coupons so I grew up with a negative attitude about them, until my next door neighbor in Mt. Vernon turned me on to this hard-core couponing like you're describing. She ended up with so much free deodorant, shampoo, cereal, etc. that she ended up having yard sales a couple times a year where she sold the goods at a profit, which I thought was brilliant. She'd make $100 or so each yard sale just off toothpaste, detergent, etc. she had bought for cheap with coupons.

I have to admit, I don't go out to eat or go to the grocery store or to CVS without a coupon now. If I ever send Ryan to the grocery store and I see him come home with items I know I have coupons for, I cringe, because I keep thinking about how much less I could have paid for those items! Some year I'll have to make it my resolution to actually keep track of how much money I save.

The only caveat I would say to all this is that coupons don't *always* mean I save money. Sometimes having a coupon just means "real" Lucky Charms costs the same as the store brand of Lucky Charms.

Good luck on this new hobby! Let us know how it goes!

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Robert Welty